Bergamot is not one of the better known essential oils, so you might be wondering what is bergamot essential oil used for? Keep reading to discover 34 unique ways to use bergamot essential oil.
Bergamot is a citrus essential oil cold pressed from the rind of the bergamot fruit. It has a citrusy, spicy, floral smell that is both uplifting and calming.
What Can Bergamot Essential Oil Do For You?
- Helps relieve anxious and sad feelings.
- Purifies and cleanses your skin.
- Soothes skin irritations.
- Helps reduce the appearance of scars.
- Helps reduce head and neck tension.
- Helps reduce stress.
- Helps relieve joint and muscle aches and discomforts.
- Supports the digestive system.
- Encourages lymphatic drainage.
- Helps to manage food cravings.
- Supports your immune system.
- Supports respiratory health.
- Helps fight infections.
- Supports healthy liver function.
- Helps to reduce oily skin.
- Promotes a healthy inflammatory response.
Is Bergamot Essential Oil Safe to Ingest?
Bergamot is the flavoring that is used in Earl Grey tea. It is safe for ingestion, but only when you are using certified pure therapeutic grade essential oils. Many essential oils on the market are adulterated and/or filled with fillers. Do your research and find a reputable company that sells pure essential oils.
Is Bergamot Essential Oil Photosensitive?
Yes. Avoid direct sunlight or UV rays to the applied area for up to 12 hours.
What does Bergamot Essential Oil Blend Well With?
Bergamot essential oil blends well with ylang-ylang, lavender, neroli, clary sage, sandalwood, and patchouli.
What Are the Emotional Benefits of Bergamot Essential Oil?
Bergamot is the Oil of Self-Acceptance. It helps with self-worth issues.
“Bergamot teaches individuals to let go of self-judgment by learning to love themselves unconditionally.”
Excerpt from Emotions and Essential Oils.
What Are the Scientific Studies on Bergamot Essential Oil?
Here is a list of 35 scientific studies including bergamot essential oil on PubMed.
Here is a list of 92 scientific studies including bergamot essential oil on Green Med Info.
34 Unique Ways to Use Bergamot Essential Oil
- Diffuse at home to lower stress levels when tension is high.
- Inhale deeply to experience its calming aroma.
- Apply to the skin while showering to enjoy its purifying skin benefits.
- Add a drop to regular tea to change it to Earl Grey tea. Sip in a pretty (or sarcastic) teacup.
- Diffuse to relieve feelings of despair.
- Apply to the feet before bedtime for a calming and relaxing massage.
- Add one to two drops to your DIY skincare cleanser.
- Add a drop to your favorite muffin recipe!
- Diffuse to create a serene environment.
- Diffuse with Lavender oil or Juniper Berry oil.
- Apply to the bottom of your feet before bedtime to encourage a sense of calm and harmony.
- Give new life to a plain drink of water, by adding 1-2 drops. Be sure to avoid drinking from plastic or styrofoam cups. Use glass or stainless steel water bottles.
- Apply to temples with Spearmint to help reduce head tension.
- Add one to two drops to your skincare toner.
- Apply topically for a fruity aroma.
- To dissipate anxious feelings, apply 1-2 drops to your hands, rub together, cup in front of your nose and inhale deeply. Or try a nasal inhaler.
- At nighttime, place 2 drops on a cotton ball and tuck it under your pillowcase before bed for a restful, pleasant sleep.
- Make an essential oil mojito with 3 drops lime, 1 drop Peppermint and 1 drop Bergamot. Elevate the experience by drinking from fun glassware.
- Add 1-2 drops in a glass of water to support the immune system.
- Take 1-2 drops internally to support a healthy appetite.
- Diffuse to boost self-confidence.
- Dilute 1-2 drops with a carrier oil and apply to dry skin.
- Use 1 drop under tongue to help promote restful sleep.
- Apply over sacral chakra (belly button) to help promote self-worth.
- Apply topically to the affected areas to help reduce muscle cramping.
- Inhale directly from the bottle to boost mood.
- Mix with Breathe and apply to chest to help stop coughing.
- Diffuse the Morning Meditation Blend: 1 drop Elevation, 2 drops Wild Orange (read more about wild orange essential oil), 2 drops Bergamot
- Diffuse the Tangermint Soap Blend: 1 drop Spearmint, 1 drop Bergamot, 3 drops Tangerine (read 35 Ways to Use Tangerine Essential Oil)
- Diffuse the Mountain Air Blend: 3 drops Bergamot, 2 drops Wintergreen, 2 drops Siberian Fir
- Diffuse the Stress Less Blend: 3 drops Bergamot, 2 drops Frankincense, 2 drops Lavender (read The Health Benefits of Lavender Essential Oil)
- Diffuse the Bright and Happy Blend: 3 drops Bergamot, 2 drops Grapefruit, 1 drop Peppermint (read more about Peppermint essential oil here)
- Add 1 drop to FCO (fractionated coconut oil) to use as a facial cleanser.
- Add 6 drops Bergamot and 6 drops Black Pepper to 1 cup Epsom salts and add to a hot bath for an invigorating bath.
Ready to Learn More?
Join my private Facebook group, Modern Moms Guide to Essential Oils for daily education on Bergamot and all other essential oils.
Want to learn even more about the powerful healing benefits of herbs and essential oils? Check out the Herbs & Essential Oils Super Bundle.
Affiliate disclosure– Links in this post may contain affiliate links. Read my full affiliate link disclosure here.