This post may contain affiliate links. See full affiliate link disclosure here.
There is so much hype around detoxing these days. Especially with celebrities endorsing commercial detoxes using expensive products and very strict diets. You can avoid the commercial hype, and support your body’s detoxification process naturally.
What is a Detox?
A detox is a way to remove built-up toxins stored in the body. Our bodies accumulate toxins from the environment, our food and water supply, and many other sources. Fat cells collect and store the toxins to keep them from damaging more vital organs. Toxins produce acidity and inflammation in the body, which is the root cause of all diseases. Our bodies were designed to naturally neutralize and eliminate toxins. However, in our modern age, we are overwhelmed with toxins. A gentle and natural detox will support your body to do what it was designed to do.
Spring is an essential time for detoxing. During the winter, we thrive on seasonal, heavy foods. Before modern grocery stores, people survived only on seasonal foods. We instinctively gain weight to keep us warm and comfortable through the long winter months. However, when we overeat and indulge in rich, heavy foods, we weaken our digestive system. Undigested food particles become toxins that end up in our cells. They clog us up and slow us down.
When spring arrives, our bodies are programmed to detoxify from the long, cold and heavy winter. Mother Nature gives us naturally detoxifying foods in the spring. Eating lighter seasonal produce in the spring purges toxins and fat that accumulated over the winter.
The arrival of spring creates an intuitive urge to purge unwanted items and create a new space. We do that in our homes with spring cleaning, and we do that in our bodies with a natural detoxification process.
Benefits of Detoxification
By neutralizing and eliminating toxins from the body, you will enjoy the following:
- More energy
- Brighter, clearer skin
- Weight loss
- Fewer aches and pains
- Improved focus and memory
- Thicker, fuller, shinier hair
- Stronger nails
- Fewer sugar cravings
- Less sickness and decreased risk of disease
Related Article >>> The Secret to Beautiful, Glowing Skin
Ten Ways to Naturally Support Detoxification This Spring
- Practice Deep Breathing. Deep breathing brings oxygen-rich air into your lungs and releases carbon dioxide and toxins. Deep breathing also relaxes and alkalizes your body, supporting detoxification. Bring fresh air into your house by opening windows and doors.
- Use Spices and Herbs. Cumin, fennel, coriander, turmeric, ginger, and black pepper are well known to improve digestion. Include them in your cooking as much as possible. Improving digestion will increase nutrient absorption and support detoxification.
- Get Plenty of Exercise. Exercise increases circulation, bringing nutrients into the cells and mobilizing toxic cellular waste. Exercise also makes you sweat, eliminating toxins through your skin. Get outside for a walk and breathe in the fresh air. Enjoy the beautiful sights and smells of spring!
- Relax in a Sauna. Sweating is a powerful way to eliminate toxins. Be sure to shower immediately after to wash the toxins off your skin. Your body was designed to sweat to eliminate toxins, so be mindful of antiperspirant use. In addition to being full of toxic chemicals, antiperspirants block your body’s natural detoxification pathway. Women should be especially careful because a build up of toxins in the underarm area can contribute to breast cancer.
- Try Dry Skin Brushing. Dry skin brushing increases circulation, exfoliates dead skins cells, opens up pores and brings toxins to the surface. Before showering, use a natural bristle brush or loofah to brush your skin. Using quick strokes, start with your feet and brush upward toward your heart. Then move to your hands, again brushing toward your heart. Brush your joints, back and abdomen in a gentle clockwise motion. Brush for 3-5 minutes then wash away the dead skins cells and eliminated toxins. You can also try Hot Towel Scrubs.
- Keep Hydrated. Drink lots of clean, filtered water to help your body eliminate toxins. A well-hydrated body supports kidney function and flushes toxins out of the body. For more helpful information and tips on the importance of drinking more water, read Your Body’s Many Cries for Water by
- Drink Warm Lemon Water. Although lemons are acidic, once metabolized, they actually neutralize acidity in the body. Warm lemon water aides in digestion and detoxification. Lemons also support liver function, which is a major player in detoxification.
- Take Detox Baths. This is my personal favorite. Add 1-2 cups of Epsom Salts or baking soda to a very hot bath and soak for 20 minutes. The minerals from the Epsom Salts and baking soda draw toxins out of your body and neutralize them. For even more detoxification support, add essential oils to your detox bath. Essential oils support many body functions including detoxification, digestion, and metabolism. Learn more here.
- Use A Tongue Scraper. Toxins from our digestive system show up on our tongues in the morning. Remove them with a tongue scraper. Brush your teeth after scraping.
- Eat Seasonal Foods. The following foods are abundant in the spring and are naturally detoxifying.
- Fava Beans
- Watercress and other greens
Detoxifying Green Juice Recipe
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1 large cucumber, chopped
- 1 1/2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 large apples, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups loosely packed kale leaves
- 1-inch square piece of ginger root
- Place all ingredients in a high-speed blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Strain pulp.
- Store in refrigerator up to 2 days.
Related Article >>> Six Foods You Need to Eat This Spring
Are you feeling inspired and ready to take detoxification to the next level? Are you ready to join a group of amazing women who are supporting each other? Right now you can get my 12 Day All Natural Detox for FREE along with dozens of other health and wellness resources during the Fit and Healthy Giveaway.
We cannot stop the winter or the summer from coming. We cannot stop the spring or the fall or make them other than they are. They are gifts from the universe that we cannot refuse. But we can choose what we will contribute to life when each arrives. ~Gary Zukav