How Essential Oils for Immune Support
Essential oils are powerful plant compounds. They are anti-microbial, disinfecting, stress-relieving, immune system stimulating, digestion stimulating, sleep-promoting, and mood-boosting.
When diffused, essential oils cleanse and disinfect the air. This keeps airborne pathogens from entering your body. Also when diffused, you breathe in the essential oils and they start to work at the cellular level to boost your overall health.
Diffusing also helps to create humidity in the air. This is extra helpful during the dry winter months. Check out this gorgeous diffuser/humidifier.
When used in cleaning agents, essential oils disinfect your home. This also helps keep pathogens from entering your body. Essential oils are extremely volatile, meaning they will evaporate into the air and get breathed in by you. For more information on cleaning with essential oils, download this free ebook.
When used topically, essential oils are absorbed by the skin and quickly into the bloodstream. They circulate throughout the body and improve cellular function.
When used internally, essential oils are absorbed through the digestive system.
Now we understand how essential oils can be used to support your immune system, now let’s learn the top 5 essential oils for immune support.
Related Article >>> 12 Super Simple Ways to Get Started Using Essential Oils <<<
Top 5 Essential Oils for Immune Support
Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon essential oil is a powerful cleanser and detoxifier. Lemon oil is inexpensive and easy to use.
Some of lemon essential oil’s powerful properties:
- Promotes alkalinity
- Cleanses the lymphatic system
- Relieves congestion
- Supports detoxification
- Improves concentration
Ways to use lemon oil for immune support:
- Try adding a drop of lemon oil to your water or tea for internal benefits.
- Diffuse lemon oil for a bright, crisp smell and cleansing of the air.
- Add a few drops of lemon oil to your favorite homemade cleaning products.
Start your morning off right with a cup of warm lemon water. Make it more powerful by combining lemon juice and a drop of lemon essential oil. This has powerful cleansing and detoxifying properties. When you’re asleep your body works hard to cleanse, detoxify and reset. Help your body release those toxins in the morning by drinking lemon water. Make it more fun and special by drinking from a beautiful mug.
Oregano Essential Oil
Oregano is a very powerful oil. Use caution when using it. It is very hot! Oregano oil is anti-bacterial, antifungal, anti-parasitic, antiviral, and stimulates the immune system.
Unless you want your house to smell like a pizza parlor, you might not want to diffuse oregano essential oil. If you’re using it topically, be very careful and dilute, dilute, dilute! It can burn your skin if you’re not careful. The best way to use oregano oil is internal. Be sure to only use pure essential oils for internal use.
Ways to use oregano essential oil for immune support:
- Gargle with a drop oregano oil to soothe a sore throat.
- Apply diluted to the bottom of your feet to help combat respiratory infections.
- Take one drop internally (in a capsule) for urinary infections.
- Take internally (in a capsule) for any viral or bacterial infections.
Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint essential oil is well known and widely used essential oil, and for good reason. Like lemon, it is very versatile, easy to use and inexpensive.
Peppermint’s powerful properties:
- Improves alertness and energy
- Reduces fevers and hot flashes
- Helps to relieve headaches
- Helps relieve nausea and stomach discomfort
- Helps relieve congestion
Ways to use peppermint essential oil for immune support:
- Diffuse to clean and energize the air (and you when you breathe it in).
- Add a drop to your morning coffee for an invigorating experience.
- Make peppermint tea with a drop of peppermint oil, raw honey and warm water.
- Apply a diluted drop to temples to relieve a headache.
- Apply a diluted drop to the back of your neck for an instant cooling experience.
Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender essential oil is very calming for your mind and body, helping you to heal your body from the inside out. Lavender is also widely used and very versatile. Lavender helps to boost your immune system by calming all your other systems down so your energy can be directed to your immune system.
Lavender’s powerful properties:
- Helps improve sleep
- Reduces stress and anxiety
- Relieves symptoms of allergies
- Helps heal wounds
- Relieves headaches
Ways to use lavender essential oils for immune support:
- Diffuse at night to have a restful sleep.
- Inhale either by putting a drop in your hands or just smelling from the bottle to help calm yourself down in stressful situations.
- Apply over your heart to help with anxious feelings.
- Apply a drop to your temples to help relieve a headache.
- Diffuse or inhale to help with allergies.
- Apply a diluted drop around (not in!) your eyes to help fight off eye infections.
- Make a lavender tea with one drop lavender oil, raw honey and warm water. Drink before bedtime.
Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Eucalyptus essential oil is another powerful oil to use for immune support. It is antiviral, antibacterial, analgesic, and disinfectant. It has a medicinal and spa-like scent.
Eucalyptus’s powerful properties:
- Relieves congestion
- Relieves fever
- Reduces muscle fatigue and pain
- Relieves ear pain
- Improves mental fatigue
Ways to use eucalyptus essential oil for immune support:
- Diffuse to clean and disinfect the environment.
- Rub diluted on your chest for a natural Vicks vapor rub.
- Apply to the bottom of your feet or along your spine to help fight off colds and flu.
- Directly inhale from the bottle or from your hands to relieve congestion and coughs.
- Apply down your spine for a cooling effect and help with fever relief.
- Apply to your outer ear to relieve earaches.
- Add a drop to your shower floor during your shower to invigorate and relieve congestion.
- Add a few drops to your natural cleaning products.
Make an Immune Support Roller Ball
Immune Support Roller Ball Recipe
- 1 drop Eucalyptus
- 2 drops Frankincense
- 2 drops Lavender
- 2 drops Lemon
- 2 drops Melaleuca (Tea Tree)
- 2 drops Oregano
For more tips, tools and recipes, check out this book.
I provide links to the only essential oils I trust and use every single day. Links are provided to offer more information and potential buying options. If you’d like more information on purchasing the purest essential oils on the market, let’s chat so you can the oils you need for your specific conditions at the best possible price.